Monday, November 1, 2010

October 29, 2010: Day One in the City

Dancing with the Ancestors last night (October 29) at Flushing Town Hall was fantastic, exhilarating, and rejuvenating. Chembo and friends se la comieron. Funny thing: I've seen Harvey Averne so many times at so many different events in New York and every time there would be a sense of faint recognition on my part without really knowing it was him---until last night when he was recognized as part of the audience by Felipe Luciano. One of Ray Romero's daughters insisted that I looked familiar to her even though I had never seen her before. In contrast, some of the musicians did not know who I was when I said hello, even though some have played in Albany as part of my series or I've introduced myself to them several times before. What a thrill to see Phil Newsom in the audience! Recognition is tricky though. How do you forget to mention Manny Oquendo, as Luciano did, when listing the percussionists that have made a significant contribution to the afro-caribbean musical tradition in the United States? The list may be too long but, forgetting Oquendo? Oh well, accidents can happen. Luciano was chagrined when alerted to his omission. And he rectified his path very graciously. But why focus on that? No, no. I'm not focusing on the omission but it was part of the event and it is suggestive of one of our predicaments: we can never do full justice to the contributions that inform and conform this great art form that we all love. On the other hand, if there is a hereafter, and all the great congueros, timbaleros, drummers, and bongoceros that have left us had a chance to listen to Chembo's tribute, I'm sure they are extremely happy. Una noche involvidable para siempre. Gracias.

No comments:

Post a Comment