Saturday, August 15, 2009

Chembo Corniel

Chembo Corniel is not only a master musician who plays Latin percussion (congas, bata, bongos, etc.) but also an incredibly approachable and likable person. I first saw him play live with trombonist Chris Washburne at a dance party. Washburne had named his band Mambo, Inc. for the occasion. Very few people danced. I didn't dance. I was there just to listen. That night I spoke with him briefly at the door, just a simple "Oh, you are playing, great!." I had a chance to talk a bit more with Steve Glusband, the trumpet player, at the bar during the break and Susie Hansen, the violinist from California, who sat in, was thrilled when I told her I had recognized her citation of the Cortijo song, "Severa" during her solo. I saw Chembo again at the restaurant Kavehaz, after it moved from SOHO to 23rd or 26th street, when he was playing with Ray Vega. His first CD had just come out and during the break I approached him and asked to buy a copy if he had one. Not only did he go out and came back with a copy of the CD but he sat at my table and talked to me as if we had known each other forever. That was special. I brought him to Schenectady in 2007 to play with the Beyond Standards Ensemble, co-led by Flutist Andrea Brachfeld, and he will be back in Albany to play with his group Chaworo on August 29. I can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Chembo's latest album, "Things I Wanted To Do" has been in regular daily rotation at Jazz89KUVO-Denver for nearly 2 months now. For the last 2 issues of Latin Beat magazine a slection from Chembo's most recent offering has appeared in the Denver Hit Parade submitted by Jazz89KUVO-"The Oasis in the City" which can be listened to globally at kuvo.org or over the air along the Front Range at 89.3FM

    We've been playing the music of Wilson Corniel for many years now, as a sideman and leader of his own Grupo Chaworo. Oyé, I know what it means but i won't steal our host's thunder. FYI Wilosn got his name on the basketball court, it's a corruption of Chamberlain, Wilt- the immortal Big Dipper.

    Chemo: siempre odara and swingin' en clave

    Arturo Gómez
    Jazz89 KUVO
    Music Director

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chembo...you're right, a totally approachable, lovely person...and what a conguero!-- a big, fat sound, very much in the vain of Mongo and Poncho Sanchez..."Chembo?"... I recall somebody saying, (maybe it was Bobby Sanabria) that it's an abbreviation of an Anglo name, a baseball player or something, Chamberlain, Chambers...?

    Hilary Noble

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Hilary and Arturo for commenting. Arturo gets the gold and Hilary gets silver! Based on the times of your posts. :-) Anyway, as further proof that I don't quite know what I'm doing, Im posting this as a comment to your comments, not sure if I should respond by posting a new blog. As I type this, sitting in the lobby of La Quinta in NYC, silent TV screeni showing a CNN report on Woodstock: 40 Years after. Now I know what Bobby Colomby looks like!

    ReplyDelete